Poem: A Lazy Cat

 

You sleep more often than not, now

Much longer than you are ever up

And I try not to worry about it

As you aren’t the age of a pup

 

It’s just that I adore you

And I can’t stand the thought of you gone

Even though that I know

We only exist for the length of our songs

 

I have no way of knowing

If you would miss me in kind

But I suspect you might not like

If I beat you to the end of the line

 

You’re not just a pet but my buddy

A comfort in the hardest of times

A fuzzy, cuddly little criminal

Immune to the threat of fines

 

Despite the occasional violence

The middle of the night alarms

Your endless, picky appetite

I am a sucker for your charms

 

The gift I never knew I wanted

The friend I didn’t expect to love

A loud and prickly cactus

That can only be bathed with gloves

 

If ever a cat was a roommate

And ever a roommate a son

And that son a superlative blessing

Cullen, my friend, you’re the one 


 

Popular Posts