Poem: For Noah

The last time I saw you was down by the water

We tipped beers and looked forward to the unlikely brightening future

We saw nightfall and cormorants, moored ships and gulls

Gazed at the moonlight casting off the bobbing ships’ hulls

 

The last time I said goodbye was later that night

In the company of your loving partner and her obvious delight

With a growl her muscle car’s engine sped you both away

Into the promise of the next hopeful day 

 

The last time you called me I was too busy to answer

See, I was at work and I got this anxiety thing and its rarely ceasing cancer

You just wanted to talk about Luke Skywalker’s latest heroism 

Promising to talk about it later, I sent a sympathetic text, in the interim

 

The last thing I sent you was a silly GIF of Padme crying

Clearly, I didn’t know it’d relate to you suddenly dying

You called me more than my mother and treated your body like my father

And it keeps going through my head that I should have called you, brother

 

The last time I saw you we were down by the water

And every time I pass there, I will picture you smiling wider

Hopefully, I’ll see you in whatever comes next

And we can talk about our hero’s cameo in something more than a text 

 


 

I'll miss you, my friend. 

Popular Posts